Place:


Castlesteads  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castlesteads like this:

CASTLESTEADS, or Cambeck-Fort, the Roman station Petriani, on the Wall, near Brampton, in Cumberland. It measures 450 feet by 300; has yielded altars, inscriptions, coins, and other relics; and gives name to an adjacent mansion, formerly the seat of the Dacres.

Additional information about this locality is available for Walton

Castlesteads through time

Castlesteads is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castlesteads itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlesteads, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25011

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Castlesteads".