Place:


Cooling  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cooling like this:

COOLING, or Cowling, a parish in Hoo district, Kent; on the Thames, 3¼ miles NE of Higham r. station, and 5 N of Rochester. Post town, Cliffe, under Rochester. Acres, 1, 544. Real property, £3, 386. Pop., 121. Houses, 22. The manor belonged to Duke Eadulf; and went to the Cobhams. ...


A moated castle, of square form, with machicolated gateway, flanked by two round towers, was built here in the time of Richard II.; and sustained a siege by Sir Thomas Wyatt, in the time of Queen Mary. The gatehouse still stands in tolerable preservation; and other parts, after having become ruinous, were converted into a farm-house. A tract of marsh extends from the vicinity of the castle to the Thames. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600. Patron, Rev. T. A. Hooper. . The church is ancient, with a tower, and has a double piscina and a brass of 1508.

Cooling through time

Cooling is now part of Medway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Medway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cooling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cooling, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2488

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cooling".