Place:


Newlay  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newlay like this:

NEWLAY, a hamlet in Horsforth and Bramley chapelries, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, and on the Leeds and Lancaster railway, 5 miles W by N of Leeds. It has a station on the railway, and a cast-iron bridge, erected in 1819; and it carries on industry in woollenmills and dye-houses.

Additional information about this locality is available for Horsforth

Newlay through time

Newlay is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newlay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newlay, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24871

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newlay ".