Place:


Mount Grace  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mount Grace like this:

MOUNT-GRACE, a ville in East Harlsey parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 5½ miles NNE of Northallerton. A Carthusian priory was founded here, in 1396, by the Duke of Surrey; and has left considerable remains. The site is romantic, and gloomily secluded; and is overhung, on the SE, by a lofty wooded hill. The church was cruiform; and considerable portions of it, with remains of a central square tower, of decorated English date, still exist. A portion of the domestic buildings also, but of Tudor date, still remains. Ruins of a chapel, founded in 1515, are on a wooded mountain, to the E.

Additional information about this locality is available for East Harlsey

Mount Grace through time

Mount Grace is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mount Grace itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mount Grace, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24757

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mount Grace".