Place:


Brownston  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brownston like this:

BROWNESTONE, a chapelry, with a village, in Modbury parish, Devon; near the South Devon railway, 3 miles N of Modbury. Statistics, with the parish. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Modbury, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was erected by the late Rev. Prebendary Oxenham; and is a bad specimen of modern Gothic.

Additional information about this locality is available for Modbury

Brownston through time

Brownston is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brownston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brownston, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24726

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brownston ".