Place:


Higher Eggerton  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Higher Eggerton like this:

EGGERTON (Higher), a hamlet in Litton-Cheney parish, Dorset; 4¼ miles ENE of Bridport. Eggerton hill here, but partly within two other parishes, is crowned by a Roman camp of 47½ acres, 1, 386 feet by 749, of oval outline; the area, studded with tumuli, and commanding a fine view: the N and E sides doubly ditched: the W side triply ditched; the two entrances, on the NW and SE, skilfully made by overlapping banks.

Additional information about this locality is available for Litton Cheney

Higher Eggerton through time

Higher Eggerton is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Higher Eggerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higher Eggerton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24646

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Higher Eggerton ".