Place:


Higher Walton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Higher Walton like this:

WALTON (Higher), a chapelry in Walton-le-Dale township, Lancashire; 2¾ miles E by N of Preston r. station. It was constituted in 1864; and its Post town is Preston. Pop., about 2,000. There are a cotton factory, print-works, and a foundry. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Bishop of M. and the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the early English style. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.

Additional information about this locality is available for Walton le Dale

Higher Walton through time

Higher Walton is now part of South Ribble district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Ribble has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Higher Walton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higher Walton, in South Ribble and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24584

Date accessed: 17th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Higher Walton ".