Place:


Penmaen  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penmaen like this:

PENMAIN, a chapelry in Mynyddyslwyn parish, Monmouth; between the rivers Ebbw and Sirhowy, near Abercarn r. station, and 12 miles N W of Newport. Post-town, Abercarn, under Newport. Acres, 4, 250. Real property, £12, 236; of which £7, 630 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2, 379; in 1861, 2, 686., Houses, 562. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good; and there is an Independent chapel.

Additional information about this locality is available for Mynyddislwyn

Penmaen through time

Penmaen is now part of Caerphilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caerphilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penmaen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penmaen, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24452

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penmaen ".