Place:


Bushy Park  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bushy Park like this:

BUSHY-PARK, a royal park in Teddington parish, Middlesex; on the Thames, adjacent to Hampton. It comprises 1,110 acres; and includes all the enclosures belonging to Hampton Court, except the Home Park. Nine avenues are in it, of chestnuts and limes, noted for beauty and magnificence. A right of passage through it having been withheld from the public, was recovered by the exertions of an humble resident at Hamptonwick. ...


The house in it is a square brick structure, erected by the Earl of Halifax, and much improved by William IV.; and was occupied occasionally by George IV., and much by William IV. and his dowager Queen. There is a post office of Bushy-Park under Hampton, London, SW. There is also, on the London and Kingston railway, a station of Teddington and Bushy-Park.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hampton

Bushy Park through time

Bushy Park is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bushy Park itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bushy Park, in Richmond upon Thames and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24451

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bushy Park ".