Place:


Woodmansterne  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodmansterne like this:

WOODMANSTERNE, a parish in Croydon district, Surrey; 2½ miles S of Carshalton r. station. It has a post-office under Epsom. Acres, 5,190. Real property, £2,474. Pop., 271. Houses, 49. Oaks, which once belonged to the Earls of Derby, and gave name to the Oaks stakes at Epsom, is now the seat of J. Smith, Esq. Stagbury, is the seat of the Walpole family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £375.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are a national school and charities £16.

Woodmansterne through time

Woodmansterne is now part of Reigate and Banstead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Reigate and Banstead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodmansterne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodmansterne, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2440

Date accessed: 19th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodmansterne ".