Place:


Torwood  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Torwood like this:

TORWOOD, a chapelry chiefly in Tor-Moham parish, and partly in St. Marychurch parish, Devon; 2 miles N by E of Torquay r. station. It was constituted in 1857; and its Post town is Torquay. Pop., 2,491. Houses, 303. The living is a p. curacy, united with St. Matthias chapelry, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200. Patron, Sir L. Palk, Bart.

Additional information about this locality is available for Torquay

Torwood through time

Torwood is now part of Torbay district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torbay has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torwood, in Torbay and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24355

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torwood ".