Place:


Claremont  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claremont like this:

CLAREMONT, a seat in Esher parish, Surrey; near the river Mole and the South Western railway, 4 ½ miles S w of Kingston. A house was built here, for his own residence, by Sir John Vanburgh, the architect; sold to the Earl of Clare, who became Duke of Newcastle; re-sold, after the Duke's death, to the great Lord Clive; and soon afterwards pulled down. ...


The present mansion was built by Lord Clive, after designs by Brown, at a cost of £100, 000; passed to Lord Galway, the Earl of Tyrconnel, Charles R. Ellis, Esq., and the Crown; was given to the Princess Charlotte and her husband Prince Leopold; was the Princess' death-place in 1817; was appropriated by the King of the Belgians, the quondam Prince Leopold, to the use of the Royal Orleans family, after their exile from France in 1848; and reverted to the Crown at the Belgian King's death. The edifice is of brick, with stone dressings, and contains many memorials of the Princess Charlotte. The grounds are 3 ½ miles in circuit; were laid out by Brown; and contain a lake of about 5 acres, and a small Gothic mausoleum of the Princess Charlotte.

Additional information about this locality is available for Esher

Claremont through time

Claremont is now part of Elmbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claremont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claremont, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24171

Date accessed: 28th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claremont ".