Place:


Croxton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxton like this:

CROXTON, a township and a chapelry in Eccleshall parish, Stafford. The township lies on the river Sow, 3½ miles WSW of Standon Bridge r. station, and 3¾ NW by W of Eccleshall. Acres, 3, 790. Real property, £4, 789. Pop., with Broughton, 821. Houses, 183. The chapelry is larger than the township; and its post town is Eccleshall. Pop., 1, 075. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £56.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Eccleshall

Croxton through time

Croxton is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxton, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24137

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croxton ".