Place:


Porthgwarra  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Porthgwarra like this:

PORTHGWARRA, a fishing hamlet in the S W of Cornwall; 3 miles S E of Lands-End, and 9 S W of Penzance. It lies at the mouth of a wild vale, and is reachedby a tunnelled roadway. It is celebrated for fine lobsters.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Levan

Porthgwarra through time

Porthgwarra is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Porthgwarra itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Porthgwarra, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23917

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Porthgwarra ".