Place:


Betton Strange  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betton Strange like this:

BETTON, a township and a chapelry in St. Chad parish, Salop; 3 ¼. miles SSE of Shrewsbury. The township is a conjoint one, bearing the name of Betton and Aikmere. Pop., 48. The chapelry is called BettonStrange. Acres and pop., returned with the parish. Rated property, £1,080. The property is divided among a few. Betton-Strange House is the seat of G. Scott, Esq.; and Betton Hall, the seat of the Norcops. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, G. Scott, Esq. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Shrewsbury

Betton Strange through time

Betton Strange is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Betton Strange itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betton Strange, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23896

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Betton Strange ".