Place:


Fosbury  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fosbury like this:

FOSBURY, a chapelry in Tidcombe and Shalbourn parishes, Wilts; adjacent to Hants and Berks, 3¾ miles NE of Ludgershall, and 6 SSE of Savernake r. station. It was constituted in 1856; and its post town is Collingbourne Ducis or Collingbourne Kingston, under Marlborough. Pop., 336. Houses, 70. The property is not much divided. Fosbury House is the seat of R.L. Bevan, Esq. An ancient camp, called Haydon Hill Castle, is here. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £180.* Patron, D. and Cs. of Windsor. The church is recent.

Additional information about this locality is available for Tidcombe

Fosbury through time

Fosbury is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fosbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fosbury, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23863

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fosbury ".