Place:


Thames Ditton  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thames Ditton like this:

THAMES-DITTON, a village and a parish in Kingston district, Surrey The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the London and Hampton-Court railway, 2 miles SW of Kingston; and has a post-office‡ under Kingston-on-Thames, and a r. station-The parish includes Claygate chapelry and Ember and Weston hamlets, and comprises 2,865 acres. ...


Real property, £10,256. Pop., 2,253. Houses, 454. The property is much subdivided. Claygate manor belongs to the Earl of Lovelace; and Weston manor, to Miss Speer. There are numerous good residences, inns, a brewery, and market-gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £290.* Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, was originally a chapel of ease to Kingston, and became parochial in 1769. The vicarage of Claygate is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, alms houses with £35 a year, and other charities £55.

Thames Ditton through time

Thames Ditton is now part of Elmbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thames Ditton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thames Ditton, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2375

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thames Ditton ".