Place:


Nutley  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nutley like this:

NUTLEY, a village and a chapelry in Maresfield parish, Sussex. The village stands near Ashdown forest, 5 miles N N W of Uckfield r. station; and has a post-office under Uckfield. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop., 731. Houses, 137. Nutley Court is the seat of J. L. Bush, Esq.; Pippingford Lodge, of J. Mortimer, Esq.; and Twyford, of R. Trotter, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £125. Patron, the rector of Maresfield. The church was built in 1848; and is a stone edifice, of nave and chancel.

Additional information about this locality is available for Maresfield

Nutley through time

Nutley is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nutley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nutley, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23661

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nutley ".