Place:


Maida Hill  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maida Hill like this:

MAIDA-HILL, a quondam-hamlet in Paddington and St. Marylebone parishes, Middlesex; near the Grand Junction canal, 3 miles WNW of St. Paul's, London. It is now a part of the metropolis; and it contains many handsome houses.

The name "Maida Hill" is now being widely used to refer to the area west of Maida Vale and north of Notting Hill: in 2011, Google Maps located it around the junction of Fernhead Road and Shirland Road, while the new "Maida Hill Market" was on the Harrow Road. However, the historic Maida Hill was south of Maida Vale, where the Edgware Road crossed the Grand Union Canal. The two churches associated with Maida Hill, Emmanuel and St Matthew, were in this area, and the canal tunnel immediately east of Edgware Road is still known as Maida Hill Tunnel. Additional information about this locality is available for St Marylebone

Maida Hill through time

Maida Hill is now part of Westminster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Westminster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maida Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maida Hill, in Westminster and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23633

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maida Hill ".