Place:


Swanmore  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swanmore like this:

SWANMORE, a tything in Droxford parish, and a chapelry partly also in Bishops-Waltham parish, Hants. The tything lies 1¾ mile E by S of Bishops-Waltham r. station, and has a post-office under Southampton. Real property, £3,815. S. House is a chief residence.—The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 849. Houses, 168. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £149.* Patron, the Rector of Droxford. The church is good.

Swanmore through time

Swanmore is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swanmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swanmore, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2333

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swanmore ".