Place:


Elson  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elson like this:

ELSON, a chapelry in Alverstoke parish, Hants; on the Gosport Junction railway, near Portsmouth harbour, 1 mile NNW of Gosport. It was constituted in 1845; and its post town is Gosport. Pop., 1, 530. Houses, 287. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £140.* Patron, the Rector of Alverstoke. The church is small and good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Elson through time

Elson is now part of Gosport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gosport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elson itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elson, in Gosport and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23292

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elson ".