Minstead  Hampshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Minstead like this:

MINSTEAD, a village and a parish in New Forest district, Hants. The village stands 2¾ miles N by W of Lyndhurst, and 5 SW by W of Redbridge r. station; and has a post office under Lyndhurst, and two inns. The parish includes the tythings of Minstead, London-Minstead, Cadnam, Canterton, and Fritham, and part of Emery-Down; also the whole of Bolderwood Walk, comprising 5,400 acres, and the greater part of Castle-Malwood Walk, comprising 3,250 acres. ...

The total acreage, together with that of the small extra-parochial tract of Alumn-Green, is 12,800. Real property, £3,993. Pop., inclusive of Alumn-Green, in 1851,1,054; in 1861,927. Houses, 194. Pop., exc. of A. G., in 1861,905. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. Compton, Esq. A triangular stone, near Stoney Cross, marks the site of the tree from which the arrow glanced that killed William Rufus. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Lyndhurst, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £650.* Patron, H. Compton, Esq. The church appears to be of the 13th century, but has been much mutilated. Charities, £16.

Minstead through time

Minstead is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Minstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Minstead, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Minstead".