Place:


Leckford  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leckford like this:

LECKFORD, a village and a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants. The village stands on the river Test, adjacent to the Andover railway, 2 miles NNE of Stockbridge; and has a post office under Winchester, and a small fishing club house, patronized by Earl Craven and several neighbouring gentry.—The parish comprises 2, 236 acres. ...


Real property, with Wherwell, £6, 835. Rated property of L. alone, £1, 615. Pop., 279. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Longman and J. Anderson, Esqs. There are some chalk pits. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, of the vicarage, £142;* of the rectory, £400; Patron of the former, the Rector; of the latter, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There is an endowed school, with £11 a year..

Leckford through time

Leckford is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leckford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leckford, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2325

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leckford ".