Place:


Damerham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Damerham like this:

DAMERHAM (South), a parish and a hundred in Wilts. The parish is in Fordingbridge district; lies on an affluent of the river Avon, at the boundary with Dorset, 3 miles W of Fordingbridge r. station, and 7½ NW by N of Ringwood; includes the tythings of East End, North End, and South End; and has a post office, of the name of Damerham, under Salisbury. ...


Acres, 4, 310. Real property, with Martin and Whichbury, £9, 674. Pop., 697. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 320.* Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Baptists. -The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 16, 832. Pop., 3, 008. Houses, 694.

Damerham through time

Damerham is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Damerham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Damerham, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2317

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Damerham ".