Place:


Newtown  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown like this:

NEWTOWN, a hamlet in Soberton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Hambledon parish, Hants. The hamlet lies 3¼ miles E of Bishops-Waltham r. station, and 11½ N of Portsmouth. The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Post-town, Soberton, under Southampton. Pop. in 1861, 635. Houses, 141. Pop. of the Soberton section, 554. Houses, 123. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £168.* Patrons, Three Trustees.

Newtown through time

Newtown is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23153

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newtown ".