Place:


Cliffe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cliffe like this:

CLIFFE, or Cliffe-by-Lewes, or St. Thomas-in-the-Cliffe, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; adjacent to the river Ouse and the South Coast railway, in the eastern vicinity of Lewes. Post town, Lewes. Acres, with Lewes borough. Rated property, £4, 371. Pop., 1, 568. Houses, 290. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £130. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is good; and there is a workhouse.

Cliffe through time

Cliffe is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cliffe, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23078

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cliffe ".