Place:


Abbey Wood  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbey Wood like this:

ABBEY-WOOD, a hamlet in Erith parish, Kent; on the North Kent railway, 2¾ miles E of Woolwich. It is named from the Abbey of Lessness, about a mile distant; it has become a sort of metropolitan suburb; and it has a r. station with telegraph, and a postal pillar box.

Abbey Wood through time

Abbey Wood is now part of Bexley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bexley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbey Wood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbey Wood, in Bexley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22968

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbey Wood ".