Place:


Halston  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halston like this:

HALSTON, an extra-parochial tract in Oswestry district, Salop; near the Ellesmere canal and the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, 4 miles ENE of Oswestry. Acres, 700. Pop., 33. Houses, 2. A preceptory of the Knights Templars, afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers, was here; was given, in the time of Elizabeth, to William Horne; and passed to the Myttons. Halston Hall was long the seat of the Myttons; one of whom was a well known sportsman, familiarly called Jack Mytton.

Halston through time

Halston is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halston, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22804

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halston ".