Place:


Swanley  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swanley like this:

SWANLEY, a chapelry, with a village, in Sutton-at-Hone parish, Kent; 1¾ mile SW of Farningham r. station, and 4 S by W of Dartford. It has a post-office under Dartford. Pop., 690. Holmfield, Burnt-House, Rookery, and How1ey are chief places; and the last has paper-mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Rev. J. H. Hotham. The church was built in 1862, and is in the early decorated style.

Swanley through time

Swanley is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swanley, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22744

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swanley ".