Place:


London Colney  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described London Colney like this:

COLNEY-ST. PETER, or London-Colney, a chapelry in the parishes of St. Peter, Ridge, and Shenley, Herts; on the river Colne, adjacent to the St. Albans railway, 3 miles S of St. Albans. It was constituted in 1826; and it includes Colney-Street, which has a post office under St. Albans. Rated property, about £4, 000. Pop., 792. Houses, 171. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £120. Patron, the Countess of Caledon . The church is good.

London Colney through time

London Colney is now part of St Albans district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Albans has changed over two centuries. For statistics about London Colney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of London Colney, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22738

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " London Colney ".