Place:


Shipdham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipdham like this:

SHIPDHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands 3¾ miles SW by W of Yaxham r. station, and 4½ SW by S of East Dereham; was once a market town; and has a post-office‡ under Thetford, and a stock fair on 30 June. The parish comprises 4,560 acres. ...


Real property, £18,028. Pop., 1,644. Houses, 382. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to W. Birch, Esq. Hill House is the seat of H. B. Cannell, Esq. A hall was built here, by a bishop of Ely, in the time of Henry III.; and a hermitage of Thomas à Becket was here about 1490. The living is a rectory in the dioceses of Norwich. Value, £1,240.* Patron, the Rev. G.Bailey. The church was extensively altered in 1845. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £70 a year, fuel allotments £125, and other charities £118.—The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 11,349. Pop., 2,777. Houses, 632.

Shipdham through time

Shipdham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipdham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipdham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2272

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipdham ".