Place:


Reach  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Reach like this:

REACH, a hamlet in Swaffham-Prior and Burwell parishes, Cambridge; 5½ miles W N W of Newmarket. It was a place of considerable importance before the Norman conquest; was afterwards a market-town; and nowhas a school-church, erected in 1860 on the site of a ruined-chapel, a recently erected Independent chapel, and a mixed national school. Pop. of the S.-P. portion, 337; of the B. portion, 111. Houses, 77 and 21.

Reach through time

Reach is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Reach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reach in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22657

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Reach ".