Place:


Quarrington  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quarrington like this:

QUARRINGTON, a village and a township in Kelloe parish, Durhamshire. The village stands 5 miles S E of Durham; was once a town of considerable importance; and was the headquarters of the Earl of Leven's armyduring six days in 1744, and of part of the Duke of Cumberland's army during some weeks in 1747. The township comprises 1, 589 acres. Real property, £4, 242; of which £2, 200 are in mines. Pop., 1,056. Houses, 219. Q. hill has traces of an ancient fortification.

Quarrington through time

Quarrington is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quarrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quarrington, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22580

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quarrington ".