Place:


Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen like this:

WIGGENHALL-ST. MARY-MAGDALENE, a parish, with a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; on the river Ouse, at Watlington r. station, and 6 miles SSW of Lynn. Post town, Lynn. Acres, 4,248. Real property, £8,895. Pop., 825. Houses, 181. The property is subdivided. About three-fourths of the area are fen, drained by a steam-engine of 40 horse-power. ...


An Augustinian nunnery, a cell to Castle-Acre, was founded here in 1181. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £270.* Patron, Rev. W. B. Dalby. The church is ancient. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a national school.

Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen through time

Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2255

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen ".