Place:


Orrell  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orrell like this:

ORRELL, a village and a township in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the Liverpool and Bury railway, 1 mile S of the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and 3 W of Wigan; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Wigan. The township contains also the village of Far-Moor, and comprises 1, 542 acres. ...


Real property, £6,016; of which £260 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 762; in 1861, 2, 932. Houses, 570. Much of the property belongs to Lord Kingsdown and M. Bankes, Esq. Coal is worked; nail-making is carried on; and there is a cotton mill. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics; a national school at Far-Moor, used also a chapel of ease: and Independent and Roman Catholic schools. A Benedictine nunnerywas established at Mount Orrell in 1821.

Orrell through time

Orrell is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orrell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orrell, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/225

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orrell ".