Place:


Bowood  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowood like this:

BOWOOD, an extra-parochial liberty in Calne district, Wilts; in Pewisham forest, 2 miles SW of Calne. Acres, 969. Real property, £1,013. Pop., 106. Houses, 18. Bowood House here, the seat of the Marquis of Lansdowne, is an edifice in the Italian style, with Doric portico, partly designed by Adams; and contains a rich collection of pictures. The grounds show much beauty, both natural and artificial; and have splendid gardens, a fine lake, and a mausoleum.

Bowood through time

Bowood is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bowood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowood in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22449

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bowood ".