Place:


Mingulay  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Mingulay like this:

Mingala, an island of Barra parish, Outer Hebrides, Inverness-shire, ¾ mile NNW of Bernera, 1¾ mile SSW of Pabba, and 9 miles SSW of the nearest point of Barra island. It extends 2½ miles north-north-eastward; measures 1¾ mile in extreme breadth; rises, along the W side, in almost mural cliffs, the retreat of innumerable sea-fowl, to an altitude of 900 feet above sea-level; and is mostly pastoral, but contains some arable land. Pop. (1861) 139, (1871) 141, (1881) 150, of whom 146 were Gaelic-speaking.

Mingulay through time

Mingulay is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mingulay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mingulay, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22426

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mingulay ".