Place:


Inchcailloch  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Inchcailloch like this:

Inchcailloch (Gael. innis-eailleach, ' island of the nun '), a hilly, wooded island of Buchanan parish, Stirlingshire, in Loch Lomond, between Torrinch and Balmaha, 7 furlongs NW of the mouth of the river Endrick. With an utmost length and breadth of 6½ by 3 furlongs, it belongs to the Duke of Montrose, and till 1621 was the seat of Inchcailloch parish church, dedicated to St Kentigerna, a holy woman who had dwelt here as an anchorite. ...


The foundations of this church (57 x 24 feet) may still be traced; whilst its ancient graveyard is still in use, and contains some curious 17th century tombstones-Ord. Sur., sh. 38, 1871. See Dr William Fraser's The Lennox (1874).

Inchcailloch through time

Inchcailloch is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inchcailloch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inchcailloch, in Stirling and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22424

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inchcailloch ".