Place:


Port Ellen  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Port Ellen like this:

Port-Ellen, a seaport village in Kildalton parish, Islay island, Argyllshire, at the head of a small bay, 6 miles NNE of the Mull of Oa, 11¾ SSE of Bowmore, and 17 W by S of Gigha. Founded in 1824, and named in compliment to Lady Ellinor Campbell of Islay, it rose rapidly into importance as a place of local commerce; and on a rocky promontory near the middle of its bay is a commodious quay, constructed in 1826 and improved in 1832. ...


It has also safe anchorage ground, and a lighthouse; is visited by the steamers which ply between Islay and Glasgow; carries on a considerable amount of fishing; and has a post office under Greenock, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Royal Bank, two inns, and a public school. Pop. (1841) 904, (1861) 1007, (1871) 979, (1881) 989.

Port Ellen through time

Port Ellen is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Ellen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Ellen in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22420

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Ellen ".