Place:


Rickarton  Kincardineshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rickarton like this:

Rickarton, a quoad sacra parish in Fetteresso parish, Kincardineshire, 5 miles NW by W of Stonehaven, under which it has a post office. Constituted in 1872, it is in the presbytery of Fordoun and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the minister's stipend is £186. The church sprang from a bequest of £3278 by the late Rev. ...


George Thomson, minister of Fetteresso; and was built, in 1870-71, at a cost of £1400. Rickarton House is a good modern mansion on the N bank of Cowie Water, 3 miles NW of Stonehaven; and the estate, long held by the Hepburns, belongs now to Alex. Baird, Esq. of Urie. Pop. of q. s. parish (1881) 473, of whom 10 were in Glenbervie parish.—Ord. Sur., shs. 67, 66, 1871.

Rickarton through time

Rickarton is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rickarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rickarton, in Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22408

Date accessed: 20th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rickarton ".