Place:


Berneray  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Berneray like this:

Bernera, an island and a quoad sacra parish in Harris parish, Inverness-shire. The island lies in the Sound of Harris, about 1 mile N of the nearest part of North Uist, and 5 miles SSW of the nearest part of Harris; and it measures about 3½ miles in length from NE to SW, and about 2 miles in breadth. ...


Pop. (1861) 315, (1871) 373, (1881) 461. The parish includes all the other Harris islands in the Sound of Harris; was constituted in 1845; had, in 1881, a population of 454; and is in the presbytery of Uist and synod of Glenelg. Its post-town is Lochmaddy. Stipend, £120. The church is a Government one, and was built in 1829. There is a Free Church mission for Bernera and Boreray.

Berneray through time

Berneray is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berneray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berneray, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22394

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berneray ".