Place:


Belton  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Belton like this:

Belton, an ancient parish, now incorporated with Dunbar, in Haddingtonshire. It lies along Beltonford Water to Belhaven Bay. Originally a chapelry, bearing the name of Heatherwick, it was constituted a parish subsequent to the erection of Dunbar church into a collegiate establishment, and it was re-annexed to Dunbar, at the cessation of the collegiate charge in 1560. Belton and Heatherwick are estates in it; and Belton House, the mansion on Belton estate, stands in a beautiful winding glen, embosomed among stately trees, 2¾ miles SW of Dunbar town.

The location is that of Belton House.

Belton through time

Belton is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belton in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22390

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belton ".