Place:


Milton  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Milton like this:

Milton or Milton of Campsie, a village in Campsie parish, S Stirlingshire, on the banks of the Glazert, with a station on the Campsie and Blane Valley section of the North British railway, 1½ mile N of Kirkintilloch, 2 miles ESE of Lennoxtown, and 9½ NNE of Glasgow. It is in the near vicinity of two print-works, Kincaid (1785) and Lillyburn (1831); shares in the industry of a populous and productive district; and has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


Pop. (1861) 562, (1871) 714, (1881) 555.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of East Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in East Dunbartonshire and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22378

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".