Place:


Kailzie  Peebles Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kailzie like this:

Kailzie (anciently Hopkailzie), a former parish of Peeblesshire, bisected by the Tweed, and suppressed in 1674, when about two-thirds of it, on the right bank of the Tweed, were annexed to Traquair; whilst the rest, on the left bank, was annexed to Innerleithen. The ruins of its church stand, in the midst of an old burying.-ground, on a burn running northward to the Tweed; and near them, 2½ miles ESE of Peebles, is Kailzie House, a plain, two-storied mansion of the early part of the present century. ...


Its owner, William Connel Black, Esq. (b. 1839), holds 1460 acres in the shire, valued at £1441 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 24, 1864.

Kailzie through time

Kailzie is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kailzie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kailzie, in Scottish Borders and Peebles Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22376

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kailzie ".