Dalwhinnie  Inverness Shire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalwhinnie like this:

Dalwhinnie, a station on the Highland railway in Kingussie parish, Inverness-shire, on the Truim's left bank, 1 mile NE of the head of Loch Ericht, 13 miles SSW of Kingussie, and 58¾ NW of Perth. Here are a post and telegraph office and the Loch Ericht Hotel, successor to an inn, which, built by Government, was an important stage in the old coaching days, from its vicinity to the Pass of Drumochter. ...

At Dalwhinnie, Cope held a council of war on 27 Aug. 1745, and two days later Prince Charles Edward was joined by Dr Cameron, bringing Cluny Macpherson; at Dalwhinnie inn, too, the Queen and Prince Consort, during their ` Third Great Expedition ' incognito, passed the night of 8 Oct. 1861, supping off two miserable starved Highland chickens, with only tea, and without any potatoes, and on the morrow receiving a visit from the present Cluny Macpherson (pp. 165,166, of the Queen's Journal, ed. 1877).

Dalwhinnie through time

Dalwhinnie is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalwhinnie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalwhinnie, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalwhinnie".