Place:


Carlops  Peebles Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carlops like this:

Carlops, a village in Linton parish, NW Peeblesshire, on the North Esk river, at the boundary with Edinburghshire, 14 miles SSW of Edinburgh, and 2¾ NNE of West Linton. Founded in 1784, it came to be inhabited chiefly by cotton weavers, and now is a centre of traffic for the working of coal and limestone in its neighbourhood, and has a Free church and two inns. Carlops Hill, ¾ mile W by N, rises 1490 feet above sea-level. See Habbie's Howe and Newhall.

Carlops through time

Carlops is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlops itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlops, in Scottish Borders and Peebles Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22364

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlops ".