Place:


Baldovan  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Baldovan like this:

Baldovan, a village, with a railway station, in Mains and Strathmartin parish, Forfarshire, on the river Dighty, and on the Dundee and Newtyle railway, 3 miles NW of Dundee. Baldovan House, in the vicinity, is the seat of Sir John Ogilvy, ninth Bart. since 1625, and owner of 1431 acres, valued at £3626 per annum. ...


Baldovan Asylum for Imbecile Children was erected in 18 54, by the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy; is a fine structure, after designs by Coe & Goodwin; and, as considerably enlarged in 1869, accommodates some 50 inmates. It was the first institution of its kind, and long the only one in Scotland.

The location is that shown for Baldovan on modern 1:25,000 maps.

Baldovan through time

Baldovan is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baldovan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baldovan in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22332

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baldovan ".