Place:


Auldhame  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auldhame like this:

Aldham or Haldame, a decayed village and an ancient coast parish of N Haddingtonshire. The village stood ½ mile S of Tantallon Castle, and 3½ miles E by S of North Berwick: near it was the parish church (demolished 1770), in whose forerunner, according to the legend, one of St Baldred's three corpses was buried in 756. (See Bass.) The parish included the lands of Aldham and Scougal, granted with Tynninghame and three moreplaces to Durham by King Duncan (1093-94): it was united to Whitekirk in the 17th century.

Auldhame through time

Auldhame is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auldhame itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auldhame in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22328

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auldhame ".