Place:


Auldgirth  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auldgirth like this:

Auldgirth, a place in the southern angle of Closeburn parish, Dumfriesshire, on the river Nith and on the Glasgow and South-Western railway, 8 miles NW by N of Dumfries. It has a bridge over the Nith, a station on the railway, a good inn, and a post office under Dumfries, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


A famous old three-trunked tree, called the Three Brethren, stood near it, but has been destroyed. The adjacent reach of the valley of the Nith, for about 2 miles, is contracted to the narrowness of almost a gorge, and exhibits views of singular picturesqueness.

Auldgirth through time

Auldgirth is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auldgirth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auldgirth, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22327

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auldgirth ".