Place:


Ascog  Buteshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ascog like this:

Ascog, a village, a bay, and a lake in the E of the isle of Bute. The village is in Kingarth parish; commences on the coast 1½ mile SE of Rothesay; extends about 2 miles southward along the shore; consists of a chain or uncontinuous line of neat houses; and has a post office under Rothesay, a Free church, and a burying-ground, with the grave of the painter Montague Stanley. ...


Ascog House, Ascog Hall, Ascog Bank, Ascog Tower, Ascog Point House, Ascog Lodge, Mid Ascog House, Craigmore, Mountfort, and other pleasant residences are in the neighbourhood. The bay indents the coast 1¼ mile S of Bogany Point at the entrance of Rothesay Bay, but is of small extent. The lake, on the mutual boundary of Kingarth and Rothesay parishes, is 1 mile long, and from 1 to 2 furlongs wide, and contains pike and perch.

Ascog through time

Ascog is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ascog itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ascog, in Argyll and Bute and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22316

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ascog ".